M Med (Int Med)
FHRS (Fellow Heart Rhythm Society)
Dr Teo is a Senior Consultant Cardiologist who specializes in electrophysiology.
He graduated from MBBS (National University of Singapore) in 1982 and obtained his Master of Medicine (Int Medicine, NUS) and MRCP (UK) in 1987. He was trained in Cardiology at the National Heart Centre in Singapore from 1987 and went for advanced training in Pacing and Cardiac Electrophysiology under Dr George Klein in University Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada from Nov 1989 to Dec 1990. Subsequently he obtained his FRCP (Edin), FACC (USA) in 1998 and FHRS (Fellow Heart Rhythm Society) in 2006.
He has been in private practice as a Consultant Cardiologist & Cardiac Electrophysiologist at Mt Elizabeth Hospital and Gleneagles Hospital since 2000 and presently a Visiting Senior Consultant Cardiologist and Senior Advisor Electrophysiology and Pacemaker Service at the Department of Cardiology, National Heart Centre, Singapore.
- Member, Civil Aviation Medical Board 1998- 2015, 2016-2020
- International Advisory Board, Journal of Arrhythmia since 2008
Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society
- Organizing Chairman, 1st Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society Scientific Session, 27-29 November 2008
- Founding Board member, Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society
- Treasurer, Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society 2008-2011
- Secretary General, Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society 2012-2013
- President-Elect Jan 2014
- President Jan 2016-Dec 2016
- Nomination Board 2017-
Previous roles have included:
- Specialist Advisory Board to the SAF in Cardiology (1Jan 2014- 31 December 2016)
- Consultant Medical Advisor to Singapore Civil Defence Force
- Chief Instructor for the Advanced Life Support Program 1995-2010
- Chairman, National Resuscitation Council 1998-2007
- Consultant Medical Advisor to SIA AED programme 1997-1999
- Clinical teacher, Department of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Council Member, Singapore Cardiac Society 2005-2006
- Editorial Board, Singapore Medical Journal 2000-2009
- Board member, Asia Resuscitation Council
Ministry of Health Guidelines committee
- Chairperson. Management of Atrial Fibrillation. Ministry of Health Singapore Clinical Practice Guidelines, Aug 2004
- Member, Heart Failure, Ministry of Health Singapore Clinical Practice Guidelines, Aug 2004
- Member, Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attacks. Ministry of Health Singapore Clinical Practice Guidelines, 2009
- Local Merit Scholarship - 1977
- Singapore Government Fellowship for Master of Medicine (Internal Medicine) - 1987
- Human Manpower Development Plan Fellowship - 1989 for Advanced Training in Cardiology (Cardiac electrophysiology and pacing).
- Service Quality Award, Singapore General Hospital, December 1996.
- Long Service Award, National Heart Centre, March 2003
- Public Administration Medal (Bronze). National Day Award 2004
- Singapore Medical Association Long Service Awards 2006
- 19th Singapore Cardiac Society Lecturer, 2007
- Service Quality Bronze Award, National Heart Centre, December 2009
- Ministry of Health National Day Long service Award 2014
- First Prize, Young Investigator's Award. 5th Annual Scientific Meeting. Singapore Cardiac Society, 28-29 March 1992.
- Third Prize, Young Investigator's Award. 9th ASEAN Congress of Cardiology, July 1992, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- First Prize, Young Investigator's Award. 7th Annual Scientific Meeting. Singapore Cardiac Society, 26-27 March 1994.
- First Prize. 2003 SMJ Best Research Papers.
- Second prize 2011 SMJ Best Research Paper (Senior author)
- Published Journals papers - 129
- Book chapters - 12
- Abstracts presented - 345
- Lectures delivered - 343